TERALFENE CHURCHYARD

 

 

Vlaams-Brabant

 

 

Belgium

 

Home |About Us | Links | Contact | Submit to the Site | Site Map

 

Pictures courtesy of Werner Van Caneghem

 

 

 

Location Information

 

The village of Teralfene is located east of the town of Ternat off the E40 motorway which runs between Brussel and Brugge. From the motorway E40 turn off at junction 20 Ternat and onto the N285 direction Ninove-Lennik, in the village of Sint-Katharina-Lombeek turn right just before the railway into Asbaan. At the next junction bear right towards Essene on Meersstraat, follow this road over the motorway and after a short distance back over the motorway again. Past the first turning on the left to the second large turning on the left called Petterstraat, turn left here and at the fork bear right into Potaardestraat, the church is along here on the left. The graves are located in front of the church.



Historical Information

The British Expeditionary Force was involved in the later stages of the defence of Belgium following the German invasion in May 1940, and suffered many casualties in covering the withdrawal to Dunkirk.

Teralfene Churchyard contains two Commonwealth burials of the Second World War.

 

 

Burial Details

 

4614047 Trooper Harry Haigh, 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars, Royal Armoured Corps, died 19th May 1940, aged 19. Son of William Haigh and of Maggie Haigh (nee Hewson), of Huddersfield.

 

47648 Captain John Evered Upton, 2 Searchlight Regt., Royal Artillery, died 16th May 1940.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back