West Norwood Cemetery and Crematorium
South East London

 

The Crematorium is in Norwood Cemetery. It was opened in 1915 and is situated beside the Nonconformist Chapel near the centre. During the 1939-1945 War the last rite of cremation was accorded to 18 servicemen at this crematorium. Their names are recorded on a small Screen Wall in Norwood Cemetery. This stands on the right of the large Screen Wall erected behind the Cross of Sacrifice after the 1914-1918 War, in the forecourt of the cemetery. On a central panel is the inscription: THESE MEMBERS OF HIS MAJESTY'S FORCES DIED IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY AND WERE CREMATED AT WEST NORWOOD 1939-1945

18 Identified casualties

 

 

 

Back to Great Britain Cemetery Index

Latest additions to the site  |  Belgian Cemeteries WW1 Index  | French Cemeteries WW1 Index  | Turkish Cemeteries WW1 Index 

  British Cemeteries Index   | Other Countries WW1 Index  | Belgian Cemeteries WW2 Index | French Cemeteries WW2 Index

Other Countries WW2 Index  | Memorial Index Architects   | Roll of Honour Dedications  | Roll of Honour

Cemeteries with Victoria Cross burials  |  Cemeteries with "Shot at Dawn" burials  |  Regimental Badge Archive  

Information on how to submit a photograph or image to the site  |  Book Reviews  |   About Us and our task  |  Links  

   Site Map   |   Miscellaneous articles  | WW1 Battles Index

Home