BUFFS ROAD CEMETERY
GENERAL DIRECTIONS: The cemetery is located to the North East of the town of Ieper. From the station turn left and drive along M.Fochlaan to the roundabout, turn right and go to the next roundabout. Here turn left into M.Haiglaan and drive to the next roundabout. Here turn right into Oude Veurnestraat, this then changes into Diksmuidseweg and Brugseweg. Drive along this road and continue straight over the traffic lights to the end of the road. At the T junction turn left (still Brugseweg) and continue along this road through the village of Sint-Jan (N313). Follow this road to the end. You come to the junction with the N38, straight across this junction into Hogeziekenweg. After 50 metres the road bends sharply to the left, the cemetery is approx 150 metres after the bend on the right hand side.
Buffs Road was the name given to a small lane just to the north of the hamlet of Wieltje. The cemetery was made and used by fighting units (particularly the Royal Sussex and the Royal Artillery) between July 1917 and March 1918, and after the Armistice graves were brought into it (Row EE and part of Row B) from the battlefields. There are now 289 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in the cemetery. 86 of the burials are unidentified and there are special memorials to ten casualties whose graves in the cemetery were destroyed by shell fire. The cemetery was designed by Arthur James Scott Hutton
The cemetery also contains the grave of a British Officer who was previously buried in Brielen Churchyard.
CASUALTY DETAILS: UK 265; Canada 10; Australia 13; South Africa 1; Total Burials: 289
290th Bde. Royal Field Artillery
(Also known as Philip Assenheim)
Son of Mrs. L. Hart, of 4, Russell St., Brighton.
Row F. 2.
Picture courtesy of Brian Harrison
504468 Lance Corporal
W. J. Fussell
503rd Field Coy.
20/09/1917, aged 26.
Son of Samuel and Elizabeth Fussell, of Newbridge Rd., Bath; husband of Olive Edith Fussell, of 5, Pippen Rd., Calne, Wilts.
Row E. 22.
Plan of the cemetery