General Directions: Hedge Row Trench Cemetery is located 4 km south east of Ieper town
centre, on the Verbrandemolenstraat a road leading from the Komenseweg,
connecting Ieper to Komen (N336).
From Ieper town centre the Komenseweg is located via the Rijselsestraat,
through the Rijselpoort (Lille Gate) and crossing the Ieper ring road,
towards Armentieres and Lille. The road name then changes to Rijselseweg. 1
km along the Rijselseweg lies the left hand turning onto Komenseweg.
2.5 km along the Komenseweg lies the right hand turning onto the Vaartstraat.
900 metres along the Vaartstraat lies the left hand turning onto the
Verbrandemolenstraat. 400 metres along the Verbrandemolenstraat a short
distance from the road is the cemetery.
The commune of Zillebeke contains many Commonwealth cemeteries as the
front line trenches ran through it during the greater part of the First
Hedge Row Trench Cemetery was begun in March 1915 and used until August
1917, sometimes under the name of Ravine Wood Cemetery. The cemetery
suffered very severely from shell fire, and after the Armistice the
positions of the individual graves could not be found or reconstructed. The
headstones are therefore arranged symmetrically round the Cross of
The cemetery contains 98 First World War burials and was designed by
John Reginald Truelove.
Casualty Details: UK 96;
Canada 2; Total Burials: 98