R.E. Farm Cemetery is located 9.5 Kms south of Ieper town centre, on a
road leading from the Rijselseweg N365, which connects Ieper to Wijtschate,
Mesen and on to Armentieres.
From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square,
through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with
the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg, (N365).
On reaching the village of Mesen the first right hand turning leads onto
Mesenstraat, towards Wulvergem. On reaching the village of Wulvergem the
first right hand turning at the church leads onto Wulvergemstraat. 500
metres along this road lies the junction with Vrooilandstraat. The cemetery
itself lies 500 metres beyond this junction on the left hand side of the
Wytschaete (now Wijtschate) was in Allied hands until 1 November 1914,
from June 1917 to April 1918, and from 28 September 1918 onwards. It was the
scene of exceptionally severe fighting in November 1914 and April 1918.
"R.E. Farm" was the military name given to the Ferme des douze Bonniers.
This building remained in Allied hands until April 1918. In December 1914
the 1st Dorsets began a cemetery (No.1) on the east side of the farm, which
was used by fighting units and field ambulances until April 1916, and
occasionally in 1917. In January 1915, the same battalion began another
cemetery (No.2) on the west side of the farm. This cemetery was little used
and after the Armistice, the 23 graves it contained were moved into No.1,
which was then renamed.
R.E. Farm Cemetery contains 179 First World War burials, 11 of them
The cemetery was designed by
Captain Wilfred Clement Von Berg, MC.
Casualty Details: UK
132; Canada 47; Total Burials: 179