Rifle House Cemetery is located 12.5 Kms south of Ieper town centre, on a
road leading from the Rijselseweg N365, which connects Ieper to Wijtschate
and on to Armentieres.
From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square,
through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with
the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg.
2 Kms after Mesen lies the left hand turning onto Rue St.Yvon. Immediately
after passing Prowse Point Military Cemetery lies a right hand turning onto
a small road track (unsuitable for vehicles). 1.5 Kms after this junction
lies the cemetery, on the track leading into the wood.
Although Access to the cemetery is easy, it should be noted that the wood
can be very wet and boggy, nearest parking is at Prowse Point Cemetery and
this is around 1.5 km away.
Rifle House Cemetery was named
from a strong point, of which no trace now exists. The earliest graves are
those of the 1st Rifle Brigade in Plot IV, Rows E to J, beginning in
November 1914. The latest are from June 1916. The cemetery was in German
hands from 10 April to 29 September 1918.
Rifle House Cemetery contains 230 First World War burials.
The cemetery was designed by William
Casualty Details: UK
229; Canada 1; Total Burials: 230
Latest additions to the site
Belgian Cemeteries WW1 Index
French Cemeteries WW1 Index
Turkish Cemeteries WW1 Index
British Cemeteries Index
Other Countries WW1 Index
Belgian Cemeteries WW2 Index
French Cemeteries WW2 Index
Other Countries WW2 Index
Memorial Index |
Roll of Honour Dedications
Roll of Honour
Cemeteries with Victoria Cross burials
Cemeteries with "Shot at Dawn" burials
Regimental Badge Archive
Information on how to submit a photograph or
image to the site |
Book Reviews |
About Us and our task
Site Map |
WW1 Battles Index