AUTHUILE MILITARY CEMETERY
General Directions: Authuile is a village 5 kilometres north of Albert. Authuile Military Cemetery is on the south side of the village. The Cemetery is signposted on the main road (D159) through the village.
This village was held by British troops from the summer of 1915 to March, 1918, when it was captured in the German Offensive on the Somme; it was ruined by shell fire even before that date. It was later "adopted" by the Urban District of Leyton. The Military Cemetery was used by Field Ambulances and fighting units from August, 1915 to December, 1916, and in 1917 and 1918 by Indian Labour Companies.
Casualty Details: UK 451, South Africa 3, India 18, Germany 1, Total Burials: 473
Plan of cemetery
Plan courtesy of Barry Cuttell