The cemetery was begun in August, 1915, by the 2nd King's Own
Scottish Borderers and the 2nd King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, when
the village was immediately South of the British front line. It
continued in use by troops holding this sector until July, 1916, when
Field Ambulances came up and a camp was established on the higher ground
North of the village. It was closed in March, 1917. From March to
August, 1918, it was in German hands, and German (and a few British)
graves were made between the British graves and the entrance, and also
in a German Cemetery alongside; but the German graves and the German
Cemetery were removed in 1924.
There are now over 850, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this
site. Of these, nearly 30 are unidentified and special memorials are
erected to 17 soldiers and one airman from the United Kingdom, known or
believed to be buried among them.
The cemetery covers an area of 4,441 square metres and is enclosed by a
red brick wall.