HIBERS TRENCH CEMETERY
Pas de Calais
General Directions: Wancourt is a village approximately 8 kilometres south-east of Arras. Hibers Trench Cemetery is about one kilometre north-west of the village on the north side of the road from Wancourt to Arras.
Wancourt was captured by Commonwealth troops on 12 April 1917, and Wancourt Tower was taken by the 50th (Northumbrian) Division on the 13th. At the end of March 1918, the village and its neighbourhood were lost during the German advance, but they were recovered by the Canadian Corps on the following 26 August. Hibers Trench Cemetery was made in April 1917, by the 50th Division Burial Officer and used until the following October. Three Canadian graves were added in August and September 1918, and two further burials in the summer of 1919.
Casualty Details: UK 133, Canada 3, total Burials: 136
"C" Battery, 251st Brigade
Royal Field Artillery
Born in West Lutton, East Riding, Yorkshire.
Picture courtesy of Mrs. P. Sutterby, Ernest was her mothers cousin