LA CHAPELLE- D'ARMENTIERES COMMUNAL CEMETERY
La Chapelle- d'Armentieres
General Directions: La Chapelle-d'Armentieres is a village 1.5 kilometres to the west of Armentieres, a large town in the north of France. From the Marie in La Chapelle-d'Armentieres turn left onto the main road. Continue to the roundabout and then turn left towards Houplines. The narrow road leading to the Communal Cemetery is found on the right after 400 metres. The Commonwealth plot is to the left of the entrance to the cemetery.
La Chapelle-d'Armentieres village was in British hands from October
1914 until the fall of Armentieres on the 10th April 1918, and it was
retaken in the following October. During the British occupation it was very
close to the front line, and the cemeteries which it contains are those made
by fighting units and Field Ambulances in the earlier days of trench
Shot at Dawn: 62971 Gunner William Jones, 43rd Bty, Royal Field Artillery, executed for desertion 20/04/1915. Row E. 1.
The mass pardon of 306 British Empire soldiers executed for certain offences during the Great War was enacted in section 359 of the Armed Forces Act 2006, which came into effect on royal assent on 8 November 2006.
Casualty Details: UK 60, Australia 1, Total Burials: 61