LOUVENCOURT MILITARY CEMETERY
General Directions: Louvencourt is a village 13 kilometres south-east of Doullens on the road to Albert (D938). The Cemetery is on the south-eastern side of the village.
From July 1915 to August 1916, field ambulances were established at
Louvencourt, which was nearly 10 kilometres behind the front line on 1 July
1916. Following the 1916 Somme offensive, these medical units moved further
east and the cemetery was little used until the German advances of April
1918 pushed the Allied line back to its old position. The graves of 1918, in
rows D and E, relate to the climax of that fighting. Eight of the graves in
row E were brought from the Communal Cemetery Extension at
Vauchelles-les-Authie, 1.6 kilometres away on the road to Doullens. This
extension was opened in July, 1916, for the Field Ambulances at Vauchelles,
but no more than eight burials took place in it.
Shot at Dawn: 43665 Private H. MacDonald of the 12th Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment, he was executed on 4/11/1916. Plot 1. D. 17.
Shot at Dawn: 10758 Rifleman F. M. Barratt of the 7th Battalion, Kings Royal Rifle Corps, he was executed on 10/7/1917. Plot 1. D. 20.
The mass pardon of 306 British Empire soldiers executed for certain offences during the Great War was enacted in section 359 of the Armed Forces Act 2006, which came into effect on royal assent on 8 November 2006.
Casualty Details: UK 133, Canada 1, New Zealand 17, France 76, Total Burials: 227