LOUVERVAL MILITARY CEMETERY
General Directions: The small village of Louverval is on the north side of the N30, Bapaume to Cambrai road, 13 kilometres north-east of Bapaume, 16 kilometres south-west of Cambrai. Louverval Military Cemetery is situated on the north side of the N30, south of Louverval village and CWGC signposts on the N30 give advance warning of arrival at the Cemetery. On a terrace within the cemetery will also be found the Cambrai Memorial.
The chateau at Louverval, was taken by the 56th Australian Infantry Battalion at dawn on 2 April 1917. The hamlet stayed in Allied hands until the 51st (Highland) Division was driven from it on 21 March 1918 during the great German advance, and it was retaken in the following September. Parts of Rows B and C of the Military Cemetery were made between April and December 1917 and in 1927, graves were brought in from Louverval Chateau Cemetery, which had been begun by German troops in March 1918 and used by Commonwealth forces in September and October 1918. On a terrace at one end of the cemetery stands the Cambrai Memorial which commemorates more than 7,000 servicemen of the United Kingdom and South Africa who died in the Battle of Cambrai in November and December 1917 and whose graves are not known.
Casualty Details: UK 118, Australia 4, New Zealand 2, Total Burials: 124
22nd Bn. Royal Fusiliers
30/12/1917, aged 33.
Son of Maria Turner (formerly Bird) & William Turner of Spriggs Hollies, Chinnor, Oxon, Buckinghamshire.
Husband of Henrietta Turner of 32 Solihull Road, Sparkhill, Birmingham. Father of Vera, Marguerite & Albert Frederick Turner.
Row B. 21.
Picture courtesy of granddaughter Joan Pullen