MAILLY-MAILLET COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION
General Directions: Mailly-Maillet is a village about 9 kilometres north of Albert. At the traffic lights in Mailly Maillet take the D120 in the direction of Colincamps following the CWGC sign. About 600 metres further on there is a small lane towards the Communal Cemetery and the Extension is on the east side of the Communal Cemetery.
Mailly-Maillet was comparatively quiet until the German advance at the end of March 1918. It remained in Allied hands, but was severely shelled and the catacombs under the village were prepared for use by the troops. The extension was begun by French units (mainly Engineers) in June 1915. Commonwealth forces relieved the French here in August 1915, and field ambulances and fighting units continued to use the extension until December 1916, then again in March-July, 1918. The 51 French graves and those of two German prisoners have been removed to other cemeteries.
Shot at Dawn: 15/890 Rifleman J. Templeton 15th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles, executed for desertion 19/03/1916. Row C. 20.
Shot at Dawn: 15/13211 Rifleman J. E. McCracken, 15th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles, executed for desertion 19/03/1916. Row C. 21.
The mass pardon of 306 British Empire soldiers executed for certain offences during the Great War was enacted in section 359 of the Armed Forces Act 2006, which came into effect on royal assent on 8 November 2006.
Casualty Details: UK 122, Canada 1, New Zealand 3, Total Burials: 126