MORY ABBEY MILITARY CEMETERY

Mory

Pas de Calais

France

Home |About Us | Links | Contact | Submit to the Site | Site Map

 

 

Mory is a village between Arras and Bapaume, and about 2 kilometres east of the village of Ervillers.

Mory-Abbey Military Cemetery is 450 metres north of the village on the north side of the road to Ecoust-St. Mein opposite a large farm called "L'Abbaye".

Mory village was occupied by Commonwealth troops in the middle of March 1917. It was lost after obstinate defence by the 40th and 34th Division a year later and recaptured towards the end of the following August, after severe fighting, by the 62nd (West Riding) and Guard Divisions.

The German burials in a plot on the west side of the cemetery were made by German troops in March-August 1918, or by Commonwealth troops in September 1918. The Commonwealth plots were begun at the end of March 1917 and carried on by fighting units until March 1918, and again in August and September 1918, as far as and including Plot III. The graves in Plots IV and V - including many of the Guards Division, and chiefly of 1918 - were added after the Armistice from the battlefields between St. Leger and Bapaume. They also included concentrations from the following smaller cemeteries:-

GRENADIER GUARDS CEMETERY, ST. LEGER, on the road to Vraucourt, which contained the graves of 24 men of the 2nd Grenadier Guards and two other soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell on the 27th August 1918.

HALLY COPSE EAST CEMETERY, ST. LEGER, between "Hally Copse" and the road to Vraucourt, which contained the graves of 49 soldiers from the United Kingdom (all of the Guards Division except one) who fell in August 1918.

MORY FRENCH CEMETERY, nearly a kilometre South-West of the village, in which three soldiers from the United Kingdom were buried in February and March 1917.

Mory Abbey Military Cemetery contains 619 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. 101 of the burials are unidentified, but there is a special memorial to one casualty known to be buried among them. The cemetery also contains 230 German burials.

The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens & George Hartley Goldsmith

Casualty Details: UK 616, Australia 1, New Zealand 1, South Africa 1, Total Burials: 619

     

 

Victoria Cross: Lieutenant Colonel, Richard Annesley West, VC, DSO and Bar, MC, Twice Mentioned in Despatches, North Irish Horse, commanding 6th Bn. Tank Corps, 02/09/1918 aged 40. Plot III. G. 4.

Served in the South African War. Son of Augustus E. and Sarah West, of Whitepark, Co. Fermanagh; husband of Maude E. West, of 14, Trafalgar Square, Chelsea, London.

Citation: An extract from the Second Supplement to "The London Gazette", No. 30982, dated 29th Oct., 1918, records the following:-"For most conspicuous bravery, leadership and self-sacrifice. During an attack, the infantry having lost their bearings in the dense fog, this officer at once collected and re-organised any men he could find and led them to their objective in face of heavy machine-gun fire. Throughout the whole action he displayed the most utter disregard of danger, and the capture of the objective was in a great part due to his initiative and gallantry."

 

 

     

 

 

 

 

 

 

27003 Private

Alfred Crabtree, MM.

"A" Coy. 1st Bn. Royal Berkshire Regiment

24/08/1918, aged 23.

Son of Walter and Lucy Ann Crabtree,

of 8, Oak Mount, Willow Bank, Todmorden.

Plot III. E. 1.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Second Lieutenant

Charles Maxwell Pullan

2nd West Riding Bde.

Royal Field Artillery

22/03/1917, aged 20.

Son of John Green Pullan and Laura Pullan,

of "The Laurels", Summerbridge, Harrogate.

Plot V. D. 26.