WARLINCOURT HALTE BRITISH CEMETERY
Pas de Calais
General Directions: Warlincourt and Saulty are villages on either side of the main road (N25) between Arras (22 kilometres) and Doullens (13 kilometres). Warlincourt Halte British Cemetery is situated just off the north side of the road. Large signs clearly indicate access 200 metres before the site coming from either direction.
The site of the cemetery was chosen in May 1916. It was used from June
1916 to May 1917 by the 20th and 43rd Casualty Clearing Stations, in
February 1917 by the 1/1st South Midland, and from April to June 1917 by the
32nd. The whole of plots VII, VIII, IX and X were filled in April and May
1917, the months of the Battles of Arras. From June 1917, the cemetery was
practically unused until the fighting of May and June 1918, when field
ambulances buried in it. After the Armistice the cemetery was increased by
graves brought in from the following small military cemeteries:-
Shot at Dawn: 9541 Lance Corporal F. Hawthorne, 1st/5th Bn. South Staffordshire Regiment, executed for Cowardice 11/08/1916. Plot 12. C. 8.
Shot at Dawn: 41643 Private W. J. Earl, 1st/7th Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers, executed for desertion 27/05/1918. Plot 12. B. 10.
Shot at Dawn: 300199 Private T. Brigham, 1st/10th Bn. Manchester Regiment, executed for desertion 04/06/1918. Plot 11. C. 15.
The mass pardon of 306 British Empire soldiers executed for certain offences during the Great War was enacted in section 359 of the Armed Forces Act 2006, which came into effect on royal assent on 8 November 2006.
Casualty Details: UK 1262, Canada 4, Germany 29, France 1, Total Burials: 1296