WORMHOUDT COMMUNAL CEMETERY
Wormhoudt is a large village 20 kilometres south of Dunkirk on the main Dunkirk-Amiens road. The cemetery is about 800 metres north of the Church and some 50 metres east of the main road. The turning for the cemetery is narrow and not easily seen. It can be found opposite the Gendarmerie. The Commonwealth burials can be found on the left hand side and at the far end of the Communal Cemetery.
Wheelchair access is possible via the main entrance.
The cemetery was used during the Second World War mainly for the burial of
those killed during the German advance of May 1940 and the withdrawal of the
British Expeditionary Force to Dunkirk.
Shot at Dawn:
9197 Private H. T. W. Phillips, 1st Bn. Coldstream Guards, executed for desertion 30/05/1916, grave in NW part of cemetery.
The mass pardon of 306 British Empire soldiers executed for certain offences during the Great War was enacted in section 359 of the Armed Forces Act 2006, which came into effect on royal assent on 8 November 2006.
Following pictures courtesy of Jean-Claude Graux